Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Glorifying Charlie Sheen

This is going to be a rant of sorts.

I don't understand what all the hype over Charlie Sheen is about. It's interesting to me that instead of condemning him for his recent (and also not so recent) drug abuse problem and domestic violence scandals, everyone thinks he's just hilarious. And maybe it was funny for a couple days, tweeting about #tigersblood and #winning because every word that came out of his mouth was utterly ridiculous, but I've been thinking more and more about how incredibly sad it is that society is completely glorifying his actions and encouraging him to continue.

When other celebrities get involved in these types of scandals, they are subjected to the worst form of media and social scrutiny and are, more often than not, forced to get help and retreat into hiding until it passes. Think Lindsay Lohan and Chris Brown. Lindsay has been in and out of jail and rehab for her drug abuse problem, and no one lets her get away with saying bullshit like "I cured my disease with my brain." When he's had MULTIPLE instances of violence against women (including prostitutes, his ex-fiance, and his own wife) he's not sent to jail or been scrutinized by the media in the same way Chris Brown was. It's sad, but I feel like people have become so used to his scandals that people are overlooking it now.

For god's sake, he has small children who look up to him and this is the example being set? That their dad can do drugs and sleep with prostitutes and hit women and that it's ok because no one is stopping him?

It's really not ok. To be honest, it's really disappointing to me that he joins twitter and gains over a million followers in less than 24 hours (setting a record, I might add), enabling him to continue. Is this because people are interested in seeing what the next crazy thing that will come out of his mouth is, or is it because people are encouraging him to continue his actions because it's entertaining? I wont lie, I started following him because I thought it would be entertaining, but after about a week of this nonsense, I'm just becoming more and more sad at the situation. It's not funny and he seriously needs help. People need to stop acting like his craziness is a joke, because he has some serious problems and, not to be dramatic, but he's probably going to die if he continues down this road.

Society needs to stop enabling him and get him some ACTUAL help before he takes the turn that so many other celebrities before him have.

No comments:

Post a Comment